This month we had a lot of big expenses, but fortunately we had the funds to cover them. Here are some of the biggies:
How I spent my money:
- Car maintenance: $1,515.52. The bulk of that was the Honda repair. The rest was registration fees for two of our cars.
- College tuition and dorm supplies: $9,800 (Yep folks, this is only 1/2 a year’s tuition.)
- Medical: $521.06 We pay out-of-pocket up until we reach $3,000. We’ve met our deductible this month, but some of that was for an eye exam, contacts and glasses (which isn’t covered under the deductible).
Thankfully, the other ‘usual’ categories (gifts, entertainment, clothing, etc.) were well within our budget. I’m especially proud to say our grocery budget was the lowest I’ve ever paid in a month. Although I didn’t make my $200 goal, I came in just under $300.00. Nothing short of amazing for me. I have a feeling my food bill will stay low now that there are only three of us.
What’s working for me: Multiple Savings Accounts for Variable Expenses!
- Having all of my variable category expenses in an online savings account helps me separate money and save for the big expenses when they come due. (i.e. taxes, insurance, repairs, college)
What I did to save some $$ this month:
- Stayed put. No travel, no vacation,
no fun, no spending. I was concerned about our budget so I planned nothing for this summer that would cost money. Not sure it was the most fun, but it did eliminate budget busting. Next year I hope to have a bit more summer fun planned and saved for.