Why is there more month than money? It seems every summer it’s the same thing. I fall behind from the spending frenzy called Spring and Summer.
I thought this year would be a bit different. Since we haven’t traveled or vacationed, dined out or purchased frivolously, I thought I would be in the black easily. However, my checkbook is telling a different story.
This really bothered me, so I studied my spending diaries starting in May through this month to get a clue as to why this happened. It soon became very clear why I don’t have as much as I thought I did.
- End of school year expenses and graduation. I spent a lot of money for the graduation party and entertaining out of town guests. (However, it was worth every penny )
- Groceries. Good grief! I spent so.much.money on food over the past 3 months. I truly have to get this in check.
- And, along the same line, I thought we didn’t eat out much. Ahem. I guess all those bagel stops added up.
- Okay, so we did purchase a new washer and dryer. That took a HUGE chunk out of our checkbook. (I took what I would normally send to the educational savings account and applied it to this bill). I would still have only $49 in my checkbook if we didn’t purchase them because I would have sent it to the ESA. Now I’m a bit behind on my ESA savings, which I’ll have to make up in August.
- Clothing. I made some clothing purchases this month for myself as well as the kids. Bathing suits, shorts, running shoes…they certainly added up quickly. It really didn’t feel like major purchases when you buy things separately, but the total in the clothing category proved differently….
I did have other expenses these past couple of months, but I had saved for them so they wouldn’t have contributed to the empty checkbook. (i.e. taxes, insurance, summer camp, etc.)
I think what happens is that I tend to spend more freely in the summer time because everything is so relaxed. When the warm weather hits, I feel better, so I spend more. Hmmm, maybe a retirement down south may not be such a good idea?? I’m also not following my ‘cash only’ mantra this summer and I suppose that’s contributing to the shortage as well. Time to break out the cash again and catch up. Hopefully, I’ll even be able to add something to savings too!
How is your checkbook looking with one week of July left?